agile development agreements australia awards business missions canterbury software careers cdc china christchurch christchurch rebuild cloud conferences economy education emerging markets entrepreneurship events exporting fast 50 funding government hong kong ibm industry news international trade market information media nzict open source outsourcing pricing procurement python qa rebuild recovery reports salary sales seminars sharepoint software summit software testing sponsorship sri lanka start-ups startups summit survey surveys testing training venture capital webinars workforce development
Blog » UCONZ “ICT and Innovation” event during the Software Summit
UCONZ “ICT and Innovation” event during the Software Summit
The University Commercialisation Offices of New Zealand (UCONZ) are sponsors of the networking portion of the Canterbury Software Summit. Their annual “ICT and Innovation” event includes displays from 17 of their member universities, where they will display their latest and greatest research projects in hopes of finding potential business partnerships. Here are a few to look for:
- a clever new land management tool that allows users to see how the position of landscape features affects ecosystem services, such as flood mitigation, water quality, erosion and sediment delivery
- ways to monitor and remotely control electricity use at various power outlets in the home with smart grid power systems
- the annual gaming boot camp which teaches marketing and start-up business skills to game designers
- a course in computer graphics that involves industry leaders as tutors
University of Canterbury:
- The Rocketry research group will have a rocket on display to exhibit their advanced and flexible control systems for supersonic and hypersonic rockets. The project is to be commercialised in partnership with Rocket Lab Ltd of Auckland.
- NEC is a partner in NZi3, the National Innovation Institute, based at U of C. They will display facial recognition technology which has been used to search for All Black look-alikes and to find homes for SPCA dogs (you may recall the world famous viral sensation Doggelganger). At the Summit you’ll be able to use the world's most accurate facial recognition technology to find your closest celebrity look-a-like. The face matching software is hosted 'in the cloud' and used around the world.
Other UCONZ exhibits will include:
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- Embedded Systems
- Smart Grids and Control Systems
- Human Interaction and Computer Interfaces
- Geographical Information Systems and
- Health and Medical IT.